Thursday 1 May 2008

The camera always lies

We’re lucky in St James – the 2 polling stations are within sight of each other and only a short walk (uphill, though) back the Committee Room. There has been some confusion over one of the tellers – I was unable to get hold of Penny last night to hand over sheets and instructions. So, to make sure the polling station at the school is covered I arrive at 06:45. Meet up with John at York House to inform him.

A teller from the Lib Dems is surprised when I introduce myself as the Labour candidate. I am informed that they didn’t recognise me from my photos – they thought I was taller….

And the good news is that Penny arrives in plenty of time to cover the early shift.

0700. The polls open and the election is underway…walk up to Thornton Hill to help Rachel; set up the Committee Rooms as several voters come down Pennsylvania Road, clutching polling card in hand and ready to cast their vote. Whatever figures and statistics we’re been working on in the past months will be of no consequence. The only figure we’re now interested in will be the one announced by Returning Officer, Philip Bostock, in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Back home for some breakfast to stand me in good stead for the LONG LONG day ahead.

No comments: