Tuesday 1 April 2008

Promises...for the future

I've received an e-mail as a direct response to last night's delivery.

In it the correspondent suggests that "Listening is one thing - but you will forgive me I'm sure for feeling that listening is not enough".

I re-stated my plan "to consult, to listen, to act" and added the pledge "to report back".

I've now had more time to think about what form this feedback might take.

It will certainly include this blog, and maybe a website. E-mail discussion groups? Group mailings?

Most importantly, it will centre around face-to-face encounters.

Carol Griffiths, my Labour predecessor for St James, used to regularly tour the streets calling on residents. I will promise to re-instate these "Meet in the Street" sessions. In addition, I will set up House meeting (like Tupperware parties without the plastic boxes), finding local residents willing to host informal meetings in their homes. All this will be in addition to meeting with Residents Associations, Neighbourhood Watch Groups, etc.

Councillors must be expected to report back on why things cannot happen as well as triumph those things that they are proud of.

No comments: