Monday 14 April 2008

Hoopern Street (continued)

More work on the Hoopern Street problem

A question for you all - is this the before or after photo?

It is indeed the photo I took following last week's repatching work in Hoopern Stree - the work that Devon County Council seemed so proud of.
"I don’t know if you have been to Hoopern Street in the last few days but all the potholes have been filled and there is no more programmed work to do." Really?

I prepare a letter to be delivered to all residents:
"Dear Hoopern Street Resident,

Like many of you all, I was pleased that Devon County Council had planned road maintenance works for your street last week.

The note I had from Andy Nethercott, Highways Superintendent of the East Area Highways Office promised patching work would alleviate problems with the present road surface

In the course of canvassing in Hoopern Street over the weekend, I saw for myself that the problems you have had with the road surface have not been solved. In many places, I could still see potholes. Indeed in some cases I proved that they could be easily damaged by a simple kick. What will happen to these as traffic continues to wear away the surface?

Many angry residents voiced their feelings on the matter, and told me that they felt let down by their Liberal Democrat councillors, both at City and County level. This from the party that promises to solve the problems of potholes.

I am keen to receive any other comments and views on the matter.

I have pledged to consult, to listen to act and to report back on any concerns. In this instance, I cannot guarantee what the outcome of my action will be as this is a matter for Devon County Council rather than Exeter City Council. However, I promise to let you know the outcome of my discussions.

If this is how Devon County Council treats the residents of Exeter whilst the city is still a District Council, what hope for the delivery of such services when Exeter is reduced to a nominal board under the plans recently announced by the leaders of the Liberal-Democrats and the Conservatives at County Hall over the past week?"

No comments: